Cheating has moved beyond the physical realm to the virtual world. Even when cheating is only online, it can destroy the emotional bonds of your relationship.
There are always signs that you can pick up on if your partner is cheating. However, before you panic and confront your partner, ensure that the evidence you found is real!
Be wary of these signs that your partner may be cheating online:
- Spending time on hookup apps. There are multiple hookup apps that are designed to help people connect. These apps range from matchmaking to intimate sites.
- If your spouse or partner is spending time on hookup apps, it’s a major red flag for cheating. Even if they don’t have a complete profile, your partner may still be connecting with others through messaging.
- Your partner may be sending explicit texts and other messages through these apps. They may or may not meet them in person.
- These types of apps are often a gateway to affairs in real life. There’s also the possibility of emotional cheating that involves your partner sharing intimate details with a stranger without physical contact.
- Chatting with former partners online. If your partner is talking to an ex online, it’s another sign to notice.
- Often, online interactions with a former partner can lead to meetings in the real world. Your partner may restart a relationship with an ex by first connecting with them online.
- It’s important to recognize that not all interactions will lead to cheating, especially if they must discuss pertinent information about their children, but they can be a dangerous pathway.
- Flirting on social media. Is your partner flirting with strangers online and using social media to connect with them?
- Social media can be a great way to meet new people, yet it can also pose risks for your relationship. If your partner is using it to flirt with strangers and interact with them inappropriately, this is a big red flag. Be aware of this behavior and monitor the interactions.
- Innocent flirtations can still hurt and may show a deeper set of issues in the relationship. This is not necessarily a huge deal, but if your partner is showing some of the other signs then this should perk your ears ups.
- Spending too much time with new friends online. Your partner may have innocent and good relationships with friends online. However, these connections may also be risky and hurt your relationship.
- If your partner is spending more time with friends online than with you in the real world, then pay attention. Many affairs start as friendships and turn into something more serious.
What Can You Do To Help Prevent Online Cheating?
Rather than trying to ban your partner from using social media, strike a balance:
- Draw a line. Set up boundaries before either of you goes online. Talk about things that you consider to be cheating online that could hurt your relationship. Discuss your concerns calmly and avoid heated arguments and fights.
- People can safely use the internet without getting involved with cheating or affairs. Agree on your boundaries and then trust your partner to use it safely.
- Recognize that online relationships can be strong and are real. They shouldn’t be ignored. Even if your partner isn’t physically touching the other person, emotional cheating can still happen.
Online cheating can have a huge impact on your relationship. These signs can help you determine what is really happening in your partner’s virtual world.