This is where a lot of miscommunication happens, especially in the form of text (text messages, forum comments, etc.) it’s hard for most of us to pick up intent in verbal communication let alone in written communication.
- intention or purpose.
“with alarm she realized his intent”
- a way of regarding, understanding, or interpreting something; a mental impression.
“Hollywood’s perception of the tastes of the American public”
- intuitive understanding and insight.
“He wouldn’t have accepted,” said my mother with unusual perception”
We can text something intended to be sarcastic and it be perceived as hurtful, it happens every day. How do we avoid such trappings?
- Be mindful of what you say vs. how it will be perceived.
- Use cues like * or “” to emphasize intent.
- Explain your intent afterwards.
I used all caps to emphasize not to yell.
Even with all this done there’s no guarantee you won’t be misunderstood at times, but hopefully this will help explain why you were misunderstood.